A business rule is a declaration that outlines the business procedure and the policies it abides by. A business rule explains the sequence of operations that is linked to the data in their database which carries out the business rule.
Benefits administration is a complicated process in which the decisions are based on the many business rules. If these rules were properly set and followed, the management of benefits, processing claims, and managing exceptions would not be so difficult.
In times like this, a business rules engine can help in automating, testing, and documenting business rules. VisiRule is a strong rules engine that works with graphical business rules editor that allows users to create and deliver the application of business rules by creating decision charts and using machine learning. It helps authors distinguish business logic from the application-specific code and understand the business with greater clarity and sustainability.
These rules engines are based on low-code development platforms (LCDPs), which is software that provides a platform for coders to create applications through the graphical interface instead of code.
Features of the rules engine
The following are some features of the rules engine that makes it an easy benefits administration system.
- Graphical illustrations: The business analysts can model the business policies, rules, and decisions graphically and don’t need to know the program. This visual model aids a shared understanding and reduces time to market for new business rules. The rules are creatively designed in flow charts and decision tables without coding which increases understanding of the content.
- Flexibility: The business can be self-sufficient in maintaining business decision and rules. They can produce new versions of rules and keep it separate from IT release cycles. In this way, the company can be more flexible and can handle the change cycles in the business.
- Traceability: The rules record all of the activities when they are being created, edited, or executed in a detailed and auditable manner. The audit trails guarantee traceability and the statistics of the execution of rules show the rule model that was used and the path that was taken.
- Scalability: The rules are constructed for applications with ensured scalability that supports and secures complicated projects.
Benefits of the rules engine
The following are advantages of using these rules engines that simplify benefits administration.
- Reduce lines of code: The use of rules engine replaces the programming and coding with decision tables and logical rules. This lets the authors develop business logic without complicated coding. By using the declarative rules created on a decision table with a fixed value, the rules are optimized.
- Ability to maintain versions: The software understands the difference between business rules and business policies that can change. By separating business rules from the codes the analysts can create, change, edit, and test business rules. You will be able to respond to changes in legislature and other unforeseen events.
- Rule execution before auditability: It allows you to test rules before they are deployed. It can test the values written and analysts and stored in the tools.
The above-mentioned information shows how the rules engine offers more benefits such as flexibility, test runs, and greater clarity.